Lately, I've been considering the Authority of Christ. Submitting fully to Him. As I was getting ready to reflect on my thoughts, I came to a conclusion about the 10 Commandments, and why they are so important. Life is not about being good or Moral, it's about worshipping the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob through the Holy Spirit given to us by Jesus Christ, who paid the debt that set us free from the sin and death which separate us from God. Here's a few thoughts (Let me know what you think).
1. “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. You shall have no other gods before me."
-There is no other God. He rescues us. He saves us. There is no other. He is not the first of many, He is the one and only.
-Give yourself to Him completely. He rescued you from the bondage of sin and death through His son Jesus Christ, a debt only He could pay. You owe Him everything.
-"I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5
2. “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.
-Do not share your affections/attentions with anyone or anything else. God will not share you. Do not worship the creation, or anything made by human hands;
-consider what you allow in your home through movies, social media, television shows, video games, music, and so much more.
-Everything we do must be brought in to submission of God most High, or we walk a fine line of being desensitized to the flesh or worshipping ourselves and our desires.
-Faltering, and going after world with its desires will effect ever one of our descendants. -Standing firm will implant the Word of God in generations to come.
-"Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen." Romans 1:24-25
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain. -Not merely a command to not speak the Lord's name commonly (Such as when we say OMG), but to not make it common (that is what vulgar and profane mean).
-We are to hold God's name in awe and reverence, speaking of Him with the respect He is due.
-We are not only to Speak His name in its proper form, but we're to live our lives in such a way that it brings Honor and Glory to His name.
-As our lives are conformed to His Spiritual Authority, we can't help but seek to make His name great, such is the joy that is produced in Him.
-"The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous man runs into it and is safe." (Proverbs 18:10)
4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work,10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates.11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. -Whichever day we keep as Sacred to the Lord, every other day must also be Sacred. But our rest and hope IS found in Jesus Christ, who is Lord of the Sabbath. Don't try and find your rest anywhere else but Him. -The Sabbath was designed for focus on the Lord, and focus on one another. We should make time to be with the Lord and one another, in worship and celebration and focus on His goodness.
-Though many of us keep the Lord's Day (Sunday) instead of the Sabbath (Saturday), we should be reminded that Paul says "One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind." (Romans 14:5) 5. Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.
-As we progress toward Christ, we also look to the Earthly Authorities he subjects us to. This begins in the home.
-Whether we had a good home life or not, learning to submit to our parents teaches us to submit to governing authorities, which in turn teaches us to submit to the Ultimate Authority of God the Father.
-Learning to submit to our parental Authorities, as unto the Lord, instils in us values that produce in us good citizenship, which in turn produces peace among our neighbors, in respect and mutual understanding. -"Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you," 1 Peter 5:5-6
6. You shall not murder.
-literally, you shall not destroy an innocent life.
-Jesus says anger or hatred toward someone else is the same as murder.
-If we learn to honor the Authority of God, we cannot hate or be angry with (murder) someone made in His likeness.
-Of we love God, and honor His authority, we shall also seek reconciliation in everything (Romans 12: 18)
-"We should not be like Cain, who was of the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own deeds were evil and his brother's righteous." 1 John 3:12
7. You shall not commit adultery.
-We shall, then, remain faithful, not merely in our physical actions, but in our thoughts and relationships, as the Lord provides.
-Adultery is not merely the physical act, but what happens within the thought of a person.
-throughout Scripture, adultery is also likened to faithlessness in following the God of the Universe.
-Faithfulness is a direct result of obedience, and is a proof of love.
-"You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God." James 4:4
8. You shall not bear false witness -This is against any form of lie, whether about someone else, or yourself.
-We will remember the Law of Love: "You shall love the Lord Your God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength" and "Love your neighbor as yourself."
-Instead of striving against one another out of anger, jealousy, and rage, we will seek to Honor God by Honoring those made in His image, and seeking their welfare above our own, which means speaking in the truth. -"[Love]it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth." (1 Corinthians 13:6).
9. You shall not steal.
-If you love God, and seek to Honor, love and serve Him, you'll take the blessings He gives you, when He gives them to you.
-Like David hiding from Saul, you will not lift a finger for your own benefit to take by force what the Lord has promised.
-To Honor God, you will seek the welfare of your neighbor, not take from it.
-"Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves." Philippians 2:3
10. You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.
-Contentment is not found in relationships, property, or anything in this world, but in Christ alone.
-If we are seeking God's will we shall find our contentment in God through Christ.
-"I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:12-13) Let us know what you think!